Monday, January 20, 2014

Winter Walks...............


 photo 9bfbe618-f804-47aa-b6ed-caf1e2b3b0ff_zps9e24abd9.jpg

Spider webs spun like silver strings
Hung with diamonds and lacy wings
Winter mornings cold and crisp
I do not linger, walking brisk.
Past the fields where the cows all graze,
In morning mists and sunny haze.
Breath in clouds hang in the air
As they lift their bulky heads to stare.
I walk on past the village pond
Where cold ducks huddle on the bank beyond.
Snuggle down  with feathers fluffed
Against the winds ice cold gusts.
I stroll along through woods that sleep,
Past willow trees that hang and weep.
Along rushing streams and babbling brook
I hear the raucous calls of Rook.
Empty nests in tree tops high,
Darkened shadows against the sky.
I walk on back along the lane
As the sun rises up to warm again.
A watery sun in a winter sky
Silence breaks at the Jackdaws cry
My footsteps echo in this quiet place
Where cobwebs hang like frozen lace
They soon will melt as the sun gets strong
I hurry home now where I belong
Shed the gloves the coat the hat
Poke the fire and move the cat
She stays inside on Winter days
Curled up tight by the fires blaze,
I settle beside her on the chair
we sit and watch the fires glare
Safe and warm from Winters cold
That's the end, my stories told.
©Janice Kay Schaub 2012.

1 comment: